We are here to help.

If your question is not addressed below, please contact us.


What forms of photo ID do you accept?

Forms of identification that we can accept are a driver’s license (from California or other states), passport, school ID, or “matricula consular” that identify you with the same name as the one used on your court paperwork.

Do you accept expired photo IDs?

Yes, as long as the ID has expired within the last five years.

Do I need an appointment to register?

No. We offer registration on a walk-in basis only. Our offices are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. Please note that due to COVID-19, we require guests to wear masks and practice social distancing. If you are experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness, including fever or cough, please do not enter the building.

May I register with a past due date?

No. You must obtain an extension from the court – then you will be able to follow the registration procedures.

May I have a family member or friend register on my behalf?

No. You must appear in person if you are over the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you must bring a parent or guardian with you.

May I register if I do not have my court paperwork?

No. You will need to go back to the court clerk’s office and request a copy of your court paperwork.

I have a volunteer organization in mind. Can I be assigned to volunteer at that location?

You will be referred to an organization that is approved for the CRCS program. There is no guarantee that we can send you to your requested organization.

I already registered with the Volunteer Center but have not yet completed my service hours. How can I get an extension?

You must return to our office with the original timesheet. You will be given a continuance letter to present to the court, and the court will determine if you are eligible for an extension.

I was granted an extension to complete my hours. What is my next step?

You must bring proof of the new court date, in writing from the court, to the Volunteer Center. It is important to bring the proof within two weeks of the due date listed on the timesheet, or the last due date filed with the Volunteer Center. If you fail to do so, you will be charged a fee.

I completed my hours. What is the next step?

You must return to the Volunteer Center with your original timesheet showing that you have completed the hours. We will process the final paperwork for the court.

I need to be re-assigned to a new location to complete my volunteer hours. What is the next step?

You must report to the Volunteer Center. Please bring your timesheet and photo ID. There will be a fee for the re-assignment.

I am having difficulty performing my service hours. What should I do?

Please contact the Volunteer Center immediately.

May I transfer my community service to another LA County office, or out-of-county?

Yes. You will have to officially transfer your community service to another approved LA County office participating in the program. Please contact the Volunteer Center near you to obtain further information. List of locations.

How can I get my organization included as an approved agency for court-referred volunteers?

There is a process for determining eligibility. Any interested agency representatives should reach out to our CRCS program team.


What is the HAM program?

The HAM program provides court-referred community members with meaningful interactions and exercises to increase understanding of the devastating impact risky behaviors can have, and the tools to avoid making those choices in the future. HAM program participation builds empathy, and research shows it reduces the rate of repeat offenses.

Program participation takes place on two different days – one visit to the hospital for a full day, and one visit to the morgue for about four hours. You will be expected to participate in the following:

  • An alcohol awareness class to address drinking behavior and traffic safety
  • A hospital visit to learn more about life-saving interventions made following alcohol-related traffic accidents and trauma
  • A morgue / coroner’s office visit to understand fatal consequences
  • A reflective component, usually an essay, to express lessons learned
  • The program has a significant waiting period – from 3-6 months at times – please register as soon as possible.

How do I register for the HAM program?

Registration takes place in person. Bring your court referral paperwork, photo ID, and the $40 fee (via cash, credit card, or money order) to one of our offices.

MADD VIP Program

What is the MADD VIP program?

The MADD VIP program enables court-referred community members to learn from in-person connection with victims and survivors of those who have been injured or killed in impaired traffic accidents. Hearing the stories of these individuals, expressing without blame or judgement how impaired driving has irrevocably changed their lives, is a transformative experience for most participants. A MADD VIP session is three hours long. Because the wait for a session can be 1-2 months, please register as soon as possible.

How do I register for the MADD VIP program?

Registration takes place in person. Bring your court referral paperwork, photo ID, and the $20 fee (via cash, credit card, or money order) to one of our offices.

If you have any questions regarding community service, community labor, HAM, and/or MADD, you may contact us via email at Email: court-referral@volctr-sobay.org, call or visit one of our offices listed below.

Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4pm

Bellflower Office
(Open M-W-F 8:30am to 4pm)
9849 Flower St., #B
Bellflower, CA 90706

Long Beach Office
1407 East 4th Street
Long Beach, CA 90802

LA Airport/So. LA Office
11701 So. La Cienega Blvd.,
Room 570F
Los Angeles, CA 90045

Torrance Office - Headquarters
1230 Cravens Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501

Stay Connected!

It’s the best way to learn more about the Volunteer Center and stay up-to-date with opportunities and events. Make sure you’re also following us on FacebookInstagram, Twitter and LinkedIn!